Belleville, NJ asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: Hello, I don't know if I have the correct agent of process for a business that didn't have the city with the entity id

I'm having trouble finding who to address my letter to and eventually serve. I'm not 100% sure that I have the correct information. I have two status reports with one of the entities having their status revoked. The business is a Massage Envy franchise located in Clifton. When I looked up the entity number there isn't a city listed next to the id #. From what I read, it's recommended that I write the business a letter before filing with court. Is there something specific I should ask for when calling NJ Division of Revenue and Enterprise? The Passaic court told me they couldn't help. I'm stuck. Will sending a letter certified mail to the business addressing the manager ensure that the correct party has received it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Noel Rivers
Noel Rivers
  • Hackensack, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The best way to find out the legal name of a business entity, along with the name of the registered agent, president, or CEO (etc) is to use the NJ Division of Revenue and Enterprise website and order the business entity standing certificates, long-form with officers. I believe it will cost you around $25.

I practice consumer law and I find that sometimes you have to search for a business on that website using several variations of the business name until you find the right entity. Before I pay for the standing certificate, I do a lot of google research to see if I can find the legal name of the entity, the owner of the entity, or any other information that will assist me in locating the business using the website listed above.

Good luck in your search!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.