Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: I came to the United States 30 years ago on a work visa but I didn’t complete the program

How can go about returning to Jamaica

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can return to Jamaica at any time. You will be subject to a 10 year bar if you overstated your visa for more than 12 months. That is an automatic bar which is imposed when you depart the United States.

So you could reapply for either an immigrant visa or non immigrant visa at any time after the ten years. Otherwise you re would need a waiver of the ten year bar which would require extreme hardship on a USC spouse or parent or proving that hardship on a Lawful permanent resident spouse or parent . That would require an experienced and competent attorney to demonstrate the extreme hardship to USCIS.

You can call for a consultation if you don’t understand or have more questions

Drew Elesh

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.