Charlotte, NC asked in Employment Law, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Arizona

Q: I need advice on how to proceed about a severance offered after being fired

1 Lawyer Answer
Stewart Salwin
Stewart Salwin
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Although severance pay is not required by law in Arizona, employers will sometimes offer a severance package when they are terminating an employee. Employers can offer a severance package out of the goodness of their hearts to soften the blow of an involuntary termination, but the main legal reason to offer a severance is to avoid potential future lawsuits by having the terminated employee sign a release in exchange for the severance package.

Sometimes the severance package can be a good deal of the employee. Even if the employee has potential legal claims against the employer, the amount provided in the severance might represent a reasonable settlement of those claims. On the other hand, sometimes an initial severance offer might not adequately compensate the employee for the value of their legal claims against the employer and the employee may be better off pursuing legal recourse.

An employment law attorney could review the severance package with you and discuss your potential employment claims in order to give you advice on whether any particular severance package is a good deal or not.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.