Aurora, CO asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Child Custody and Constitutional Law for Colorado

Q: Is it illegal for CPS to permanently place my kids with my absusers sister with a protection order in place?

The PO is permanent, with 2 violations! The court order is very vague. It states visitation at her discretion. She sneakily took my daughters and moved them 2 hours away from me and my son (Their half brother) and has yet to update her address with the court. I had to locate my children by doing a public property search. She has denied me all contact with my daughters since the move. Prior to that I had been paying for supervised visits through the Family Tree CONSISTENTLY.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: An attorney would have to see the order but it sounds very broad and gives the sister a great deal of discretion. You may want to seek a modification to the order if you would like to propose alternate arrangement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.