Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Constitutional Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Colorado on


Philip M Smith
Philip M Smith answered on May 10, 2021

Each case's facts will determine if the court finds a reason to let you withdraw your plea. That area of law is complex. You need to retain a criminal defense attorney to examine all the facts and decisions in your case to see if what you want is likely. Your time for challenging your plea... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: Can I legally own a gun in Colorado if I got my felony record expunged in New Jersey

I used to be a convicted felon in NJ but I have since gotten my record expunged. I was convicted for felony drug distribution. I have never been convicted of any violent crimes. If my record is expunged in NJ can I legally own a gun in Colorado?

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Mar 8, 2021

A NJ lawyer will have to advise on whether, under NJ law, expungement of a felony conviction amounts to a restoration of your civil rights. If the answer is yes under NJ law, then I believe you should be perfectly fine in CO. But often times the question of a clear felony record does not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Family Law for Colorado on
Q: If court order is not modifiy or stipulations were not filed is it a civil case?
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Mar 6, 2021

It would be important to know what type of case it is. Courts have subject matter jurisdiction over certain subjects so it is not possible to determine what type of case it is based on whether there is a motion to modify some unspecified thing and there were no stipulations filed.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: How do I get my parenting plan enforced, since local law enforcement won't help?

My grandmother has been refusing to let my children be taken from her custody under threat of dhs involvement, since June 2020. The judge in both cases acknowledged my custody order but doesn't know why its not being enforced. HELP

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jan 16, 2021

If you have a custody order, you can enforce it in court. You would file a motion to enforce.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and International Law for Colorado on
Q: Is it possible to get a case tossed out on procedural grounds without needing to post bond or show up personally?

Long story short, I recently had my passport revoked while abroad due to a state felony arrest warrant being issued for me about 8 years ago. During my time abroad, I have filled my US taxes every year, voted in every election (same district that has filled the charges), been registered in the... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Dec 30, 2020

You have a tricky situation:

I would approach it this way. I would contact a very good criminal lawyer in the jurisdiction where the criminal action is lodged and abide his advice. If your theory (or any theory) is correct, then you can attack the passport problem once you have your...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: CPS is lying and won't give our kids back. The judge is going along with it. They have missed appointments.

They have caused us to miss visits by scheduling then on holidays and during a dental appointment we wasn't allowed to attend as promised. I need help proving this and someone that will stand up for we are being violated our children's rights are being violated

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Dec 11, 2020

The general statement of things that you have provided here certainly seems unfair and should consult with a lawyer so that they can learn more details about your situation and advise you on your best options/defenses. There is not information in this post to adequately respond to your concerns... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: I was arrested on charges of harrasment and disorderly conduct based off of witness statements.

I feel there was no reasonable cause for an arrest to be made. The statements were false and I did not bother anyone in the building. The charges were dissmised in the interest of Justice. I am wondering if I have a potential case to sue for damages, economic losses, and non economic losses?

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jul 14, 2020

Potentially yes. These cases can be difficult. So you should consult with an attorney to discuss the facts, the law, your rights, remedies, potential outcomes, etc.

Q: An interviewer of a fortune 500 company told me i couldnt do the job because of my disability
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jun 10, 2020

Your question does not provide enough detail to analyze whether this would violate the law. If you are an otherwise qualified individual who was not offered the position because of your disability, then you may have a claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, you would not be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: I have FAC coming up on the 9th, do I than file for a motions hearing to hear all the facts of the case? I

I'm also not entering in a plea. I will be challenging jurisdiction

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 2, 2020

If you are talking about an FAC and a plea, this sounds like it might be closer to criminal law than maritime law (unless there are facts not mentioned that would be relevant for the Admiralty/Maritime category). Since time is of the essence in your matter, you might have better chances of a prompt... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: I want to ask a question: do I have rights of freedom expression in my own apartment?

I am speaking in my apartment, but someone use it as discrimination against protected class, what should I do?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 25, 2020

I'm sorry for your difficult situation, but freedom of expression is generally something associated with state action on restricting speech, not usually something that applies to private settings. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Appeals / Appellate Law, Child Custody and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: I originally got a emergency protective order against my ex wife. She responded by claiming a false domestic abuse card.

I assumed that I was to stay away from her by x amt of ft And knew I was not allowed to call her. We had twins.I emailed her a non-confrontational email. Explained that I did not want to go threw a bitter divorce and basically would become victimized in order to make sure my twins had a well... Read more »

Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels answered on May 11, 2020

First if you and your ex wife each have attorneys, it usually is the rule to communicate to her attorney and not directly. Second, Double Jeopardy is a criminal principle and doesn't apply here.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: Is it legal in Colorado to openly carry a fixed blade knife on your belt
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on May 1, 2020

Yes, almost all knives are legal carried in the open. Ballistic knives are illegal to own and therefore would be illegal to carry. It's illegal to conceal a knife with a blade over 3.5 inches. CRS 18-12-102.

Various places may restrict weapons beyond the restrictions of state law.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: son incarcerated fines waived because he is indigent others denied why and is there anything else he can do ?
Courtney Edwards
Courtney Edwards answered on Apr 14, 2020

Some fines are mandatory and cannot be waived, even if indigent. Best thing he can do is get on some sort of payment plan with the court.

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: Lyft claims that drivers are to pay income tax on the amount the passenger pays, not the amount the driver receives.

How is this legal, given the fact that Lyft does not disclose the full fare amount to the driver? Drivers are "agreeing by contract" to pay taxes on an unknown amount? How is this even close to legal? If state tax is included, a driver can pay more than 50% of their actual income to... Read more »

David Ostrove
David Ostrove answered on Feb 23, 2020

It all depends on what is being deducted from the Lyft driver's gross income. If it is something that the employer is required by law to deduct, then most likely the Lyft driver will need to report the gross amount, not just the net amount received by the driver. That of course is true of all... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Child Custody and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: Is it illegal for CPS to permanently place my kids with my absusers sister with a protection order in place?

The PO is permanent, with 2 violations! The court order is very vague. It states visitation at her discretion. She sneakily took my daughters and moved them 2 hours away from me and my son (Their half brother) and has yet to update her address with the court. I had to locate my children by doing a... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Feb 23, 2020

An attorney would have to see the order but it sounds very broad and gives the sister a great deal of discretion. You may want to seek a modification to the order if you would like to propose alternate arrangement.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: Is it legal for Colorado Springs jail to make inmates strip and sit outside in 36 degree weather for an hour??
Mark Ryan Thiessen
Mark Ryan Thiessen answered on Jan 6, 2020

Depends on their circumstances. Sounds cruel and unusual, but what do they say is the reason they did it? and then what are your damages? It's not something that will just get a criminal case thrown out since it was post-arrest.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: I’m 23 I live in Colorado and have for two years. Can Georgia put Me in prison for interference with govt. property?

There was a dispute at a bar, I was severely intoxicated, detained and ended up with an interference with govt property charge. This happened before I moved to CO. I work at the airport and just lost my security clearance until there’s a disposition and have to go back to Georgia, which I can... Read more »

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Dec 29, 2019

If I understand you correctly, you were charged in Georgia. If that is the case, you should direct this question to attorney in Georgia. Colorado and Georgia law unlikely to be the same in your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: Pulled me over for taking snap chat pictures of car on bricks? That’s my right to take pics?

Snapchat sent to gf on business training trip two city’s up from mine pulled over for “tinted windows” questioned about stolen car on bricks?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 3, 2019

Sounds like he claimed he pulled you over for the tine, at least that was the pretext. Is tint okay or questionable?

If actually only for photographing, then illegal

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: I have been introduced to a legal experiment regarding constitutional law. Could someone evaluate the following ?

We are defrauded at birth and made a corporation under Admiralty Law.

The registration of live births in America and throughout the former British Empire, most of Europe, is used not to simply record the birth of babies, but to name commercial "vessels" after those babies. This... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 5, 2019

This does not appear to be something the average maritime practitioner dealing with ship collision, ship arrest, Jones Act, cruise ship, boating accident, or salvage cases would know about. A tax attorney might have deeper insight.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Colorado on
Q: If I get into a fist fight with my girlfriends brother in their parents house, what happens if police get called?
Jonathan Greenlee
Jonathan Greenlee answered on Jun 28, 2019

Unless you are acting in self defense (acting reasonably against an imminent threat of injury to you or another) and did not provoke the fight, you could be charged with a wide range of offenses, depending on the severity of any injuries inflicted. A simple shove or push that does not cause pain... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.