Carlisle, PA asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Wrongful Death for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I contact the DA about an overdose death investigation that I believe is taking too long, and how?

December 31, 2018 my daughter father/ my best friend died from an overdose. No one ever contacted me, his girlfriend, or his mother during this course. I found out who was in charge of his investigation and she asked me to come, she told me alot and what she could, now a new person is in charge. I reached out to him for anything that has been updated and offered to help anyway I could (the same I did with the first) , he basically replied saying he will let me know if he needs me. Nothing has came about it. His mother asked me to see what I can do and find out because she lives 2 hours away and it's too hard on her right now losing both of her children 10 years apart.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan L Hyde
Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There is a lot of information missing here to give you a good answer. Reaching out to the District Attorneys office would be a normal course of action. Keep in mind they may know nothing about the investigation but many times, depending on county, if its a drug delivery resulting in death investigation they will know. Importantly, they have no legal obligation to share status updates of the investigation with you. In fact, there are some pretty strict laws preventing them from giving out information. A final word, you say the investigation is taking too long. Homicide investigations arent quick. If thats what they are looking at they can take months.

Sorry for your loss and good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.