Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Pennsylvania Federal Crimes Questions & Answers

Q: If a policy holder is a risk class: non- tobacco and has used tobacco under contract, can this person be prosecuted

Pertaining to medicare supplement insurance.

Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 19, 2019

Not prosecuted but if it turns up in the medical records they could drop you or re-rate you. Sorry, the person.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Sexual Harassment for Pennsylvania on

Q: Is it illegal for a girl(18) to have a sexual relationship with a boy(14). Boy will turn 15 before the female turns 19

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 9, 2019

Generally yes, unless the age of majority is 14 in Pennsylvania (very doubtful) it is unlawful for anyone to have sexual relations with the underage boy.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: My daughter took 2 people, both on probation, one a minor, from PA to OK. Can she be charged with kidnapping the minor?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 18, 2019

Only if she used force or it was against the minor's will. Sounds like incredibly poor judgment.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Intellectual Property for Pennsylvania on

Q: Will you get jail time for a second degree misdemeanor? Charge was for taking $100 from work after a customer left it.

Andrea E. Mertz answered on Jan 25, 2019

Assuming you have no prior record of convictions, you will get probation. The maximum sentence you face is 1 to 2 years incarceration. However, that maximum usually is ordered for repeat convicts who have multiple convictions. Hire an attorney and inquire as to whether your county has a first... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Criminal Law, Family Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: I gave someone my dog to keep while his wife had cancer. He promised to give my dog back after she died. Now he won’t

I gave my dog to my uncle to help his wife feel better since she had cancer. I gave it to him under the condition that if they couldn’t take care of her anymore, to give her back to me. A year after she died, he claimed to not be able to take care of my dog anymore and asked to give her back to... Read more »

Kathryn Hilbush answered on Jan 22, 2019

I doubt you can sue her for theft since your uncle handed the dog over to her. Maybe if you offer to reimburse her for the vet bills she'll return the dog. Since she seems to care enough for the dog to spend a decent amount of money on her, perhaps the nicest thing you can do for your dog is allow... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: How can I stay out of jail on a false conspiracy charge?

Gary Kollin answered on Nov 5, 2018

The first thing you need to do is to hire a lawyer

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: My ex is trying to file false allegations against me about using his debit card. Can the cops arrest me for it?

My ex is trying to accuse me of using his debit card for purchases he has made. He left his wallet at home for almost a week while he was away and now hes saying that i made purchases in his absence. What can i do to prove my innocence?

Cary B. Hall answered on Nov 2, 2018

Well, theoretically, you don't have to prove your innocence at all: the cops/courts have to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The problem here is that it *is* very difficult to prove a negative. How to prove you *didn't* do something? If you get a call from the cops, you can certainly... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: a felon with a stolen tampered with firearm found in their car, without fingerprints, will they be convicted?

Will a felon, who owns their own vehicle, which nobody else has access to, be convicted of felonies, if a firearm with tampered numbers is found, without fingerprints or dna on the weapon. Say the felon is on state felony probation already.

Mr. Ryan L Hyde answered on Oct 26, 2018

WIthout discovery the "will I be convicted" question is almost impossible to answer. Finding a firearm in a vehicle under the sole control of a convicted felon is certainly not good. But there are a whole host of issues that could be relevant to the disposition of the case. More troubling is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on

Q: cops have continuosly falsely reported to cyf there was a drug lab in my home when therewas that illegal to do???

the police raided my house and charged me w various narcotics crimes .none of which are even related to having an methamphetamine labortory.but they repeatedly and are continuoously are reporting to cyf that in fact there was a meth lab in my home in an attempt to have my son taken away from... Read more »

Cary B. Hall answered on Oct 22, 2018

If true, then yes, you could probably file section 1983 litigation against them in federal court.

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: Charged with false written statement on gun purchase

Been denied purchase so I challenged, PICS says from an assault charge when I was 18 I am 60 now so that was 42yrs ago and in that 42yrs I have bought 6 guns, 1 from Ohio and crossed into Pa without any problems. This in March 2018 August 30th 2018 it was in the paper i was charged with false... Read more »

Cary B. Hall answered on Sep 4, 2018

Get an attorney now. I've had cases like this, and they can be beat. Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: If it is your first time shoplifting in PA and you are 16 can u go to jail

Cary B. Hall answered on Sep 1, 2018

Very likely not. You'll go through the juvenile system, which makes every effort *not* to detain kids away from their families. Cooperate, show (and actually feel) remorse, and garner family support, and you should be OK.

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: I had punched this girl in the face Tht was 16 maybe even 17 I am 23 n she pressed charges on whn I go to court am

I Gonna get locked up for it ?? Mind u this is the first thing I ever did Tht was bad my background is clean please help

Cary B. Hall answered on Jul 17, 2018

No idea - and I just answered a *very* similar question on here. Sounds like it should be a probation case, but you never know and it depends what you're charged with. Aggravated assault is a felony; simple assault is a misdemeanor. Two very different animals, and the punishments for each differ... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Military Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: 2012 charged with assault consummate by battery, but it never went through any criminal proceedings. Honorable discharg

I had a TSSCI Still. I just saw through Pennsylvania State police that there is a record of that or a form of it. Will this effect my investigation for a clearance now?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 24, 2018

Depends on the agency but usually that will attract at least extra scrutiny of your entire record. You may want to look at having that expunged.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: I am being accused of using another person's bank account to pay two credit cards. What charges can come from that?

I am being accused of using someone else's checking account information to pay two of my credit cards. The first was my home Depot card, and I notified the person that was the checking account owner that a payment was about to go through, and the account owner called his bank and stopped the... Read more »

Cary B. Hall answered on Jun 8, 2018

Typically, fraudulent use of another's bank account without his/her permission could carry charges like: forgery; access device fraud; identity theft; theft by unlawful taking; theft by deception; and/or receiving stolen property. The grading of the offenses (felony, misdemeanor, etc.) depends on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on

Q: I was charged with forgery in 2001. I used someone's credit card in PA spent 500.00 returned all merchandise. First offe

I had never been in trouble, I was given an f2 unauthorized act in writing. Only thing I did was sign the reciept. From what I have researched I should of gotten a misdemeanor not a F2 and m2 for theft by unlawful taking

Cary B. Hall answered on Jun 3, 2018

Here's the forgery statute in full:

"§ 4101 Forgery

(a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of forgery if, with intent to defraud or injure anyone, or with knowledge that he is facilitating a fraud or injury to be perpetrated by anyone, the actor:

(1) alters any writing...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: My friend has a shared bank account with her mother & brother in which her SSI benefits go into every month .

Today her brother cleaned out the account & stole all her rent & bill money. Is there anything she can do ?

Peter N. Munsing answered on May 4, 2018

call the police; unfortunately if it's a joint account all have a right to use it.She should have had her own bank account.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Health Care Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: My emplloyer had accused me of falsely writing scripts of narcotics and stealing the medication when it arrived at my f

I am RN . I accidently wrongly put in a doctors order for a narc in the wrong resident name , I told another nurse when the med arrived he told me what to do send it back to pharmacy he faced it over and I called them . Can I get charged for this ???

Cary B. Hall answered on Apr 23, 2018

Anyone can get charged criminally for anything, and it happens all the time. Will it happen to you? No idea.

If it does, and it really was a mistake at work, then cooperate with the authorities and tell them what happened. Same with your employer. If you did nothing intentionally wrong...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: My husband is being charge for stranguling me and i have to testify but i dont want to. I just wanted him to get

Arrested That night to teach him that i will not just let it go but never thought it would come down to all of this. I have mental issues and i cant handle this also i dont want him to serve time but i really want him to get some help. What should i do. This is really affecting my life.

Cary B. Hall answered on Apr 20, 2018

You need to contact the Assistant District Attorney handling your husband's case, and tell him/her your position on things. "Strangulation" is a relatively new statute in Pennsylvania, and it's a second-degree felony - punishable by a maximum of 10 years in jail. It's no joke.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: my mother is in the icu. Her boyfriend took her check book, wrote himself a check for 250 signed her name. what do I do?

she is not awake and in no way gave consent for him to sign. I am her poa and have been motoring her bank account and paying bills for her. He did not tell me about it and is unaware I have a cess to her account. They are not married nor have children together, there is no joint account. What legal... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 22, 2018

you need to notify the bank immediately if a check was paid on a "forged necessary endorsement"--namely her signature or the signature of the person using the check. He will have to put the money in the account. A problem may be that it sounds like he is in her house.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on

Q: How should I go about this warrant? Can I get it lifted?

Last year I did this thing online that they said they will pay you for. I received the check in the mail. I went to cash it and the lady at the bank asked me how I got the check . I told her I got it in the mail. She said she needs to verify it. She took a copy of my ID and took my phone number. I... Read more »

Mr. Ryan L Hyde answered on Mar 11, 2018

The only way to get a felony warrant lifted is to appear in front of the issuing authority. They will process you and set bail. Its always a good idea to have local counsel as they can usually arrange to do everything at once which speeds up the process. There is no burden on the Commonwealth to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.