Charlotte, NC asked in Contracts, Construction Law and Small Claims for North Carolina

Q: Can I sue my GC for damages?

I hired a GC in August (with a written contract) that had an estimated timeline of 6 weeks to completion. It went well in the beginning, but he began to demand advances, which we naively provided via credit card. He continued to demand advances, threatening to walk if we didn't pay, while showing up less and less. He walked off the job since we wouldn't give another advance, and we filed credit card disputes for services not rendered. We have been without our bathrooms, our kitchen, out basement, our guest room, and our study since September.

The work that he did was terrible. He did a lot of landscaping in our backyard to resolve water issues, and installed a sitting area. The entire area washed away, carrying sand all across our yard and mixing it with mulch. The sitting area caved in, as did the walkway that he installed.

We got quotes to fix and they're expensive, and most of the material is wasted or requires labor to reuse. Do we have a case to sue for damages?

1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes, your damages are any monies paid to the contractor for work not performed. Also, the difference between the costs you were paying this contractor and the costs to fix and/or replace.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.