San Jose, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: My mom filed for custidy of my kids

She never told me & I was in a treatment center while i was in there she took my mail which had the letter from the court so I missed the court date & now I need to know what to do to get my kids back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lane Wood
Lane Wood
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You will want to get in touch with an attorney sooner rather than later. The answer to this question could vary greatly depending on what exactly happened to get custody of your kids. You will want to meet with an attorney who can look up the case to determine what was filed - guardianship, custody by a non-parent, adoption, etc. Once you know what was filed, you can formulate a game plan going forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.