West Jefferson, OH asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Ohio

Q: Please help, I am trying to keep my dads house out of probate after he dies.

I am the sole heiress, currently POA, his caregiver and will be executor. There is a mortgage and an equity loan not in my name but my parents. My mother is dead. Dad is alive by very sick. Both of their names are joint owners on the house title and the mortgage and equity loan. He has a registered will on file. I want to see if I can get my name on the house deed to avoid probate. Mom was never probated. I have some funds right now but do not want to retain an attorney if It will not be worth it as my funds are limited until I get his life insurance. The house is in Ohio. I plan on living here afterwards and assuming what mortgage I cannot pay off. Will someone please tell me if I can avoid probate at all or if I should just wait until he passes? Or should I see an attorney as soon as possible? Please help. God bless.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Kellogg
Paul Kellogg
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You need to go see an attorney. You need to verify the house was joint with survivorship between your parents so it can be transferred out of your mom's name and into your father's name. If the house is not in survivorship between your parents you have a lot issues to work through. If the house is in survivorship you need to have your mother's name removed. Once that is accomplished, if your father is competent, he could deed the house to you or he could sign a transfer on death affidavit that would transfer the house to you upon his death.

Mark Martin Turner and Anthony C. Satariano agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.