Harrisburg, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: If a mother is going to be US citizen but her under 18 years old son don't want to is he still automatically going tobe

Or is there another way to keep his citizenship and decide after he is 18 years old?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Antonio Arreola
Juan Antonio Arreola
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wilson, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You pose an interesting question. Is there any particular reason as to why the son does not want to become a U.S. citizen?

Derivative citizenship is very complex and case specific. However, as a general rule a minor, under 18 years of age, automatically acquires U.S. citizenship if (1) the minor is a greencard holder, (2) at least one parent becomes a naturalized U.S. citizen, and (3) the child is residing in the USA in the physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.

There are many, many benefits to becoming a U.S. citizen. You and your son should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your son's options.

Adan Vega agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.