Grandview, MO asked in Divorce for Missouri

Q: Can a motion to compel a judge to sign a divorce decree be filed? See below additional info.

I would like to know if the plaintiff/petitioner in an uncontested divorce with no children and no property division between both parties can file a motion to compel the court to render a judgment and sign a divorce decree when that judge has far surpassed the thirty(30) days from the time of filing the petition with the court clerk. This is in the state of Missouri.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Based on your city being Grandview, MO, I am going to assume you are in Jackson County, MO. They have a specific docket for uncontested cases and you need to send in a proposed judgment. If you have an attorney, they will have done this. If you do not have an attorney, you need to do it. There are proposed forms on the website. Jackson County also gives you a hearing date on the uncontested docket. If you have attended that already and the Judge said you had a proposed judgment that was sufficient, the Judge should have signed it then and there. If that happened, call the court to ask if it was mailed to you. If you have an attorney and they sent in a proposed judgment, you will have to be patient as sometimes it can take a couple months. Judges sign documents based on first in-first out basis with the exception of expedited or emergency orders. As an aside, a thirty day wait is not that long in the legal system, though most judges try to sign family law judgments sooner rather than later.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.