Bloomington, IL asked in Child Support for Illinois

Q: how do I get the child support payments lowered due to my income has decreased cause I switched jobs in ILL


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cynthia Rote
Cynthia Rote
  • Pecatonica, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You will have to file a Motion to Modify support alleging that a substantial change in your income has occurred. Courts do not believe that all decreases in income are a substantial change, so if your income only decreased by a small amount you may not be able to decrease your payments. In addition, the Court may inquire as to why you switched jobs to ensure that you did not voluntarily lower your income for a reason it deems improper.

You should also be aware that the Court will not lower support payments for any time before you file the Motion, therefore, if your income decreased significantly you should file asap to ensure that you are not stuck with making payments for the period between when you changed jobs and filed your Motion.

*This response is for general purposes and should not be considered legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.