New Market, AL asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Alabama

Q: how does a person go about getting discovery if you do not have a lawyer?

Is there a wrong and right way to ask for discovery?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kate Furek
Kate Furek
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If you are charged with a crime that carries the possibility of a jail sentence (any felony or misdemeanor), it is in your best interest to hire a lawyer. If you are indigent (you do not make enough money to afford a lawyer), one can be appointed to represent you. You should go to your first court appearance and ask the prosecutor or the judge for an application for a court appointed lawyer.

If you are charged with a traffic violation, you should still go to your first court appearance and speak with the prosecutor or the judge about whether there is any discovery in your case. In some cases, the only discovery is the ticket. In other cases, there is some additional discovery in your case. To ask for this, simply politely ask the prosecutor for this information. They may reset your court date to give their staff time to make copies for you. At this time, they also may make you an offer in your case. If you choose to hire an attorney to represent you, you can also do so.

Kyle D Pierce agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.