Pensacola, FL asked in Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: I was not paid a severance after my patient died. The family decided not to even though my patient did. Is that legal?

I worked for a family for about 3 years. My job was to take care of their 97 year old mother. They did not pay legally until a month or so before their mother died. The mother told them to make sure they paied us a severance after she died. Well when she did die they didn't give us anything because a pot had been damaged from a leaky faucet. That's out of me and my coworkers control. Are they legally able to do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It's unclear what you mean by "... They did not pay legally …". Did you work for the mother or for her children? In any case, severance pay is normally a voluntary payment unless it's required by a written employment contract. So they would not be obligated to pay it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.