Tolleson, AZ asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: I was told due to my case I'm not appointed to an free Attorney?? Assualt

He spit in my face aggressively took my cell, I (admit) threw a small wood sign at wall, he then punched me in my mouth bloody, (I was 5 months pregnant)I then called 911on home phone he disconnected phone line, State is pressing charges on me??? I cant afford a lawyer. Been with this man for 11 years. Have 4 month old and 10 year old.. I want to leave..but he threatens me with court... an I be on foot

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If you were charged with misdemeanor assault - DV, you are not entitled to a public defender because there is no jail time associated with the charges. There are agencies in Maricopa County whose mission is to assist women in leaving abusive relationships. Please seek the help of one of these agencies for you and your children. No one deserves to live in an abusive house. Break the cycle and find your way out. Your children are depending on you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.