Anderson, SC asked in Estate Planning and Probate for South Carolina

Q: My father passed away in June of 2016. My mother was left everything with

Everything with my sister as executor in case my mom was incapacitated. My sister was arrested for not reporting the abuse of my mom by the men she hired.

My mom was put in protective custody. Since then my sister has not paid the taxes on a duplex my father owned. She has also sold my moms house. What can I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: This was posted as a family law question, but it's actually a probate court issue. You can petition the probate court to be appointed substitute executor, if the probate case is still open. You can also petition the probate court to get guardianship over your mother. You need to consult with a lawyer on how to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.