Denver, CO asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado

Q: What should I expect for a careless driving summons?

I passed a car without using blinkers in downtown Denver. When I was pulled over, the officer said that I was in the 2nd lane, passed the car in front of me by using the 1st lane, and then merged right to the 3rd lane without blinkers. Shocked that this was incorrect, I said that I was actually just in the 3rd lane, used the 2nd lane to pass, and returned to the 3rd lane. He said no and that I was in a road rage because the car had stopped in front of me to merge right into the bus lane to make a right turn (which confirms my being in the 3rd lane initially) and that I whipped around him and sped away. After he said that I fell silent, and as he gave me the ticket he didn’t say anything other than you have a mandatory court date and just walked away. I fear that my questioning his recollection of the incident is going to land me a harsh punishment. I have one speeding ticket on my record in Colorado. I’m very nervous about court. What do I do? What should I expect?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Littleton, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: What you should expect depends on whether you want to fight the ticket in trial or plea bargain the case. If you decide to fight the ticket, you should have an attorney. The prosecutor will be an attorney and you will be at a disadvantage. The judge will expect you to follow the rules of procedure and evidence. While the judge will probably cut you some slack, they cannot help you try your case.

If you what to see what sort of plea bargain you can get, go to court and talk to the prosecutor. They will very likely offer you a plea bargain of some sort. You can then ask to have the case reset so you can think about accepting the offer or consulting an attorney or both.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.