Bakersfield, CA asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: who is responsible financially and physically if your neighbors trees have overgrown, and come over the fence ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq.
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may be able to trim the overhanging branches if it does not harm the health of or damage the tree, but first consult with a licensed arborist about what can be reasonably done.

If there is an issue of whether trimming is reasonable, try to work it out with your neighbor or you may need to go to court.

Also be aware that many cities have tree ordinances that you may need to comply with, so check these or get legal advice before proceeding on your own!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.