Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: Can a pro se respondent appoint a non-lawyer to speak on their behalf in Florida?

My fiancé is a pro se respondent in a child custody case petitioned by an abusive ex-boyfriend. Given the fact that she has an injunction against him for DV, does she have to face him, and his equally intimidating witnesses, alone in the courtroom, or can she appoint a non-lawyer (namely myself) to represent, speak, examine witnesses, object, motion, or perform any other acts on her behalf (obtaining a lawyer has proven to be rather difficult...)?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No; those activities would constitute the unauthorized practice of law. It's a crime.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.