Eugene, OR asked in Estate Planning, Probate and Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: How do you transfer a piece of real estate before someone dies in order to avoid probate?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The owner of the real property can do that by signing and recording a deed, but he or she would be well advised to consult with an attorney before doing so. Lifetime gifts of large value items like a home are fraught with peril. First, the gift might trigger a gift tax. Second, the recipient will inherit the gift giver's tax basis, thus losing the step up in basis at death that would otherwise have occurred, thus creating in most cases a capital gains tax exposure that is much greater than it otherwise would have been. Third, the gift might create a very long Medicaid penalty period. Fourth, if the gift giver needs to continue to reside in the house, he or she will be in the awkward position of now being a mere tenant with little control over the property and even the obligation to pay rent. And, yes, it gets worse. Don't do this without legal advice.

Theressa Hollis agrees with this answer

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.