Bastrop, LA asked in Bankruptcy for Louisiana

Q: How long can a chapter 7 trustee hold funds taken from a settlement without disbursing it to creditors.

I was discharged in May from a chapter 7. In September, the chapter 7 trustee decided to take some property I donated to my mother that was reported in the original filling with my interest in it. My attorney recommended I convert to a 13 to pay for the property to protect it. I just found out that the chapter 7 trustee never disbursed settlement money he took from me during the chapter 7. What are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Sometimes it takes a while for disbursement. I’d wait until it comes before I did anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.