Cantonment, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can my spouse remove themselves off our co-signed rental lease without my permission during an open divorce case?

Also stopped paying utility bill. Can I file contempt or what other type of filing can I use to notify judge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A person can be held in contempt of court if he/she violates a previous order specifically directing him/her not to do a certain thing but does it anyway. Was there a previous order directing him/her not to do these things? Otherwise, why would he/she needs your permission to remove their name off a lease if he/she no longer resides there. If you are dependent on this person, you can put forth a motion for temporary support to allow you to pay your bills while the divorce is pending.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.