Houston, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: Do I have rights to a jointly owned property after my divorce if it was put on the decree after I signed it

My ex-husband of just 3 days shy of 11 yrs filed for divorce in 2017 and put our jointly owned property on the divorce decree along with deeming himself custodial parent of our then 11 yr old daughter after I signed it. What rights do I have today as far as being compensated for the property and getting custody of our daughter

1 Lawyer Answer
Victoria Collins
Victoria Collins
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A Final Decree of Divorce is an order of the court, which means the judge had to have signed the Decree. If the Decree was never signed by a judge then it is not a final order. Since 2 - 3 years have passed since you signed the decree, its content cannot be changed IF a judge signed it, however; you can file for a modification of conservatorship of your child if there has been a substantial change in the child's circumstances since the order was signed. There can be no changes as far as property division. IF a judge never signed the decree, you are not divorced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.