Tallahassee, FL asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Florida

Q: I went to a gas station and received gas that had tons of water in it. It caused over $1000 in damages. Can I sue?

I filed an incident report but nobody has gotten back to me. Nobody has responded to voicemails. The dealership took a sample of the gas and it is completely clear.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You could, but it does not look like the type of case that an attorney would accept on a contingency basis. You could face issues in showing the chain of custody of the sample, proper protocols used in taking the sample, tests of the gas station's tanks, your own vehicle's maintenance and repair records, a mechanic who would attest to the water's damage to your engine/fuel pump, and more - those things could easily eat up several hundred dollars, before you're even out of the box. You could speak with a Florida attorney and see what they have to say. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.