Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: My fiancé has a son who is 12 yrs old and lives with his mother in Puerto Rico.

My fiancé who uses my address in FL, but is only in FL 3-5 days out of the month since he started working as an independent contractor and drives all over the states. He was married to the mother of his child for 3 months in PR, they got divorced and a child support was established. After the divorce he moved from PR to GA in 2014, started working and continued paying child support. In 2016 he moved to FL with me, but was unable to find a stable job, started driving for Uber, but then he ran into some problems with the law and wasn’t able to continue working for Uber since his background check showed he was arrested. To resolve the situation he had to go into a diversion program and all the charges were dropped. By the end of that time frame he owed $6000 in child support, but recently started working and was paying directly to the mom. He just received on the mail a notice of registration of foreign support order from the FL county where I reside. What does this mean? Thank you,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The support order was registered/domesticated in the county where you live. Is your address on his driver's license or did he provide your address as his home of record. Regardless, since the order is now registered in FL, his wages may be garnished by the FL Department of Revenue for child support.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.