Cedar City, UT asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Utah

Q: My child’s father hasn’t seen her or paid child support in 2.5 years. We have no custody order. What do I need to do?

I would like to get sole custody and potentially go after child support but am afraid he will try and get custody of my daughter. Will he be able to get rights after not seeing her for 6+ months?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lane Wood
Lane Wood
  • Licensed in Utah

A: The answer to this question is that it depends. Generally speaking, a termination of parental rights is a very difficult task. From your question, it does not appear that you are seeking to terminate parental rights. However, short of a termination of parental rights, a parent will always have some rights. Based upon his absence, those rights may be less than they would otherwise be. However, he would likely be afforded some parent-time, probably with a schedule to build up to a normal parent-time schedule.

A custody fight is not something that should be done alone. Custody is very fact dependent and carries lasting consequences. You want to make sure that it is done correctly the first time. I highly recommend that you at least talk to an attorney about the specifics of your case before moving forward. You would benefit greatly from having representation throughout the entire case if you can afford an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.