Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Illinois

Q: How do I stop an adoption in Illinois and they never notified me?

I have 2 children that my mother has guardianship of and the guardianship was filed in Indiana so I petitioned the court to terminate the guardianship. In return my mother goes and gets an attorney in Illinois and filed for adoption of my 2 children. I have not been notified of the adoption in Illinois

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You should immediately hire an attorney in the county where the adoption case has been filed. Bring all the paperwork related to the Indiana guardianship with you to the first appointment with the attorney. Explain what's happening and he or she should take it from there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.