North Kingstown, RI asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: A person maxes their credit cards, defaults, then moves overseas. Is that a crime?

Will there be criminal charges waiting for them if they ever return to the United States?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dakota Martin
Dakota Martin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Unlikely. Intent might be hard to prove. I've not seen a criminal case based on the facts you provided. They use civil not criminal courts. The reality is that they will attempt to locate you, contacting friends and family anyone they think might assist their search. It may get so bothersome that you eventually have to work out a payment plan (negative credit mark on top of your unpaid bills) or declare bankruptcy (negative as well).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.