Denham Springs, LA asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: My wife and I separated and she is pregnant by IUI donor sperm and saying I won’t have rights . Anything that I can do ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I do not know if you are in Alabama or not and that would be a considerable factor as I am not licensed in LA or elsewhere and cannot give you advice on how the matter may be handled in other states. You need to consult an attorney in the state where the soon to be child and mother are located. In Alabama the husband is presumed to be the father of any child conceived during the marriage and ONLY the father can challenge that presumption so congratulations, you are going to be a father. If you want to contest that it is up to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.