Athens, AL asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: Can you adopt your stepchildren if the non-custodial parent has been on the run with the law for 2 years?

My husband has sole custody of his children and she has supervised visits through the county. She has not exercised her rights to see the kids since she lost custody. (Dhr took her to court) She has not seen her children in 1 year and 6 months. She violated her probation a year ago and left the state. She sends text messages saying tell the kids I love them. Is that considered keeping communication?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: I'd have to know more facts to be able to express an opinion. However, you probably are ripe for a termination of parental rights petition. Call a lawyer in your area and do it now, before she re-establishes contact with the children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.