Marlton, NJ asked in Contracts for South Carolina

Q: I lent someone 4k. he paid back all but 1800. ive got it on file with the county but he moved to NY after.

we had a written agreement of repayment. I filed it with the magistrates court locally and won the settlement. he was ordered to pay the money. i attempted to have the sheriffs office so a search and seizure but the debtor has moved to new york. Is there anything i can do now or am i just out the money?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: You can file that Judgment in the location where he has moved but you will need to contact an attorney in that area to assist you in the process of filing the judgment and collecting the money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.