Dallas, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: Is Texas a state where spousal support is ordered? Married 40 years, separated 5. Adultery & abandonment involved.

I am disabled & get a SS check & have not worked for 22 years. He gets retirement & partial SS & military disability.

We separated about 5 years ago, he left with no warning but said he wouldn't divorce me, because he said I needed his medical insurance which he gets through his past employment. Over the 5 years we have remained fairly close and I'd call him if I needed financial help. He most always came through.

Now however, he is dating someone and chooses to ignore my calls and other attempts to reach him. He has not answered me once since I let it be known that I know about his other woman. I've called and/or texted him maybe a hundred times in last 6 weeks alone to no avail. Our daughter is in contact with him is the only reason I know he's ok and receiving my messages.

He's doing more things now than we ever did & spending alot unnecessarily while I struggle to live month to month. Do I have options?

Thank You,

Lost in TX

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Net resources for spousal support does not includes disability nor social security, but a retirement payment would be a resource he could pay you from. Time to see a lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.