Orange Beach, AL asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas

Q: We have forested property in Arkansas that is in trust, has an easement on two properties going to our land.

The same easement is recorded on our deed and the other two deeds. My father was unable to drive the last 10-12 years and was unable to go to the property. Other family members did not travel to property either. The two property owners where easement is assigned going to our property have the road locked and are saying they are taking the easement by adverse possession. A 30 foot width of land was cleared and a road was established some 20 years ago. Isn’t the easement permanent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Dumas
Paul Dumas
  • Morrilton, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Your situation is not uncommon and the answer depends on many factors. Among the most important considerations are the type of easements held by each landowner, whether the roadway at issue is the only egress and ingress onto the property, the length of time the roadway has been in existence, whether a legal description of the roadway is recited in the easements and the historical use and understanding of the roadway. Any one of these factors, individually or in combination could be the determining factor in your case. If an agreement can't be reached with the neighboring land owners to resolve this dispute, you will want to pursue some type of injunctive relief from the circuit court in the Arkansas county where the property is located. You could be entitled to damages also, depending on the specific circumstances. You should immediately consult an Arkansas attorney experienced in these types of property disputes to protect your family's rights.

Nick Henry agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.