Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: We have a contract in AR to build a new home. The builder will be late. Any recourse to recover expenses due to the

Contract states "The Closing of the sale of the real property (the “Closing”) shall occur on or before January 15, 2020 or at such other date as may be mutually agreed upon by Buyer and Seller (the Closing Date)." The builder has informed us they will not be ready on the 15th and may not be... Read more »

Jarred Kibbey
Jarred Kibbey answered on Jan 12, 2020

You may have potential recourse depending on other provisions in the contract and the cause of the delay. Some contracts include financial penalties for missing closing dates, so you should review other sections of the contract. Barring any specific language in the contract for penalties, the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: I live in AR. I purchased land from a lady who now refuses to transfer deed into my name.

I have lived on the property for 4 and a half years. Once i had paid her the asking price in full (approximately 2 yrs ago) thats when she informed me of her desire to "keep that land in my family and give it to my grandson upon my death". But i paid her in full. Ive known her my entire life and... Read more »

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Nov 27, 2019

Her tendering the deed to you is instrumental in effectuation for the transfer, so as of yet you didn’t purchase the property.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: A house with my name of the deed was secretly sold without my consent.

Want do I do next?

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Nov 15, 2019

Alert the local prosecutor’s office.

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Probate and Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas on
Q: My brother and I are listed as his and her on the deed to our land. The language doesn’t read right to survivorship.

I am needing to remove him from the deed, but I am wanting to avoid probate. Is there anyway around it?

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Oct 30, 2019

Only he can convey out his interest in the real estate.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas on
Q: I have recieved a code 18-60-304 demanding I leave in 3 days but can not. If I'm not out by the end of the 3 days isnt

That when the sheriff will be called and he will put a 3 day vacate notice? I can be out by then just not the original 3 days posted by apartment complex

Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee answered on Sep 6, 2019

This notice is simply the first step a landlord must complete before they file a lawsuit in Court to have you evicted. The sheriff can not and will not do anything until they have a writ of execution from the Court, which is the document that commands the sheriff to forcibly remove you from the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Collections and Probate for Arkansas on
Q: How do I pay my deceased mom's debts?

My mom recently passed and I don't have the money pay her debts until/unless I can sell her house. I know her estate is fits within the guidelines of a small estate. I have 3 other siblings too. I'm just not sure of the process in Arkansas.

Brandon M Haubert
Brandon M Haubert answered on Aug 28, 2019

You most likely need to speak to a lawyer. Even if the house fits, you may have issues with title once you try to sell. A lot of title companies will require the house to be probated even if it fits within the small estate guidelines.

You should speak to a lawyer about the debts owed and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: Easement question

I want to buy a bank owned foreclosed property. The land is landlocked. Do I need an easement to use existing driveway? If so how do I get one? The home was owned by the owner of the surrounding property. I'm told she didn't have and will not give an easement.

Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee answered on Aug 28, 2019

I'm confused because you're saying the property is landlocked, but there is an existing driveway. It could be possible to get an easement by necessity if your property truly does not have any means of ingress.

If there's an existing driveway, the easement may already technically exist....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: If I have a misdemeanor charge for theft that is being expunged will this still bar me from getting a realtor license?

I haven’t started the process yet for my expungement, but I am in the process of trying to find a lawyer to do so, it’s a Misdemeanor A Theft.

James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr answered on Aug 27, 2019

Once the charges are expunged you the charge will not show up on your record with the state of Arkansas; however, there are other websites that record you being charged. They rarely receive notice of the expunged record. You might need to send them a copy of the file marked expunge order.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: What are my options about finding out a place has termite damage when the contract says it doesn't.

Bought a house and closed last Friday. Started renovating the master bath and found extensive termite damge and plain as day visible signs that they had termites. It's obvious someone knew about this issue at some point becaust they had the house treated and the termites aren't in the house... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 24, 2019

Although I have not had a chance to review all the documents involved in the purchase and sale referred too it appears to me that you may be miss-interpreting the contract with respect to the existence--vel non--of termites. Unless the

contract(s) specifically say there is no termite...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can you sell your percentage of property if you are a joint owner ?
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee answered on Jul 31, 2019

You can, but you're selling an "undivided interest," and I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy one. If you own a third of the property, you don't own 1/3 of the land, you have a 1/3 interest in all of the land. So, you'd have just as much right to possess the property as the people owning... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can I sell my home directly to a person in Arkansas or is a realtor required?
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee answered on Jul 23, 2019

A realtor is not required, but you will need to draft a deed of some sort to actually convey the property and its best to put your agreement in writing.

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can I sell directly to a person, without a realtor?
Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Jul 20, 2019

I can’t see any reason you can’t.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: If property is in husbands name and his death does his part pass to his daughter or to his widow
Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Jul 4, 2019

The language in the deed, as well as the terms of his will, will provide the answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Immigration Law and Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: Where do I start

I am freaking out about my family .. ALL of my family. I'm worried about where everyone is and what exactly has happened to all of us. I gotta figure out the money thing so that I can get funding to my family that is locked up.

Rehim Babaoglu
Rehim Babaoglu answered on Jun 21, 2019

Your Q is unclear. Are your family members in US ICE custody and facing deportation proceedings?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can a bankruptcy stop a foreclosure/ eviction after it has been lost?

I have a (trailer) renter who was being faced with foreclosure back in may and lost. Well in June the same renter filed for bankruptcy. Now the mortgage company won't come for the trailer since it's in bankruptcy. Is there anything I can do?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 11, 2018

No. It might slow it down temporarily, but only temporarily, especially where the property has already been lost.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Arkansas on
Q: Does a person have to pay taxes on property for 7 years before they can petition the court for a quiet title
Skye Martin
Skye Martin answered on Jan 27, 2018

No, you’re thinking of adverse possession. I suggest consulting an attorney because title issues can be complicated.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: Title company is saying that the Quickclaim Deeds that myself and my cousin signed aren't good after 17 years.

We signed the deeds over to my sister, the lawyer prepared the deeds and filed them, the accessors office shows that my sister is the owner. How can she not own the home?

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Dec 8, 2017

If what you signed is indeed a 'quick' claim deed, they are saying it is wrong because that thing does not exist.

Quit claim deeds (which do exist) can also have issues, such as a typo in the legal description, or a missing term. WHY is the title company claiming the deeds 'aren't good'....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: My mother died with will in Texas, she also has timeshare in Arkansas, how do I get timeshare signed back to company?

I am named the executer of her will and will be going to probate here in Texas where she resided. The timeshare company is willing to take back ownership but I do not know how to get legal papers, or what legal papers that will be needed for me to sign it back over to them. The timeshare is in... Read more »

Michael Hales
Michael Hales answered on Nov 29, 2017

Reach out to the timeshare's management company. They will prepare the documents for you to sign as executor. This should be fairly simple.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Arkansas on
Q: A family member died recently & owns a lot in Arkansas but is behind on his taxes. Do I need to try to recover the lot?

The lot is worth $2000 and he owes around $220 in back taxes. We are NOT probating his estate because he does not have enough assets to warrant a full probate. Can the lot be sold? Is it worth the time and money to try to recover or sell the lot? Do I just allow the property to revert to the... Read more »

Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng answered on Nov 9, 2017

In my opinion, your decision should be based on economics, not legal factors. As you already recognize, it may not be worth the expense to do anything. In order to sell the lot, you would have to file the paperwork to administer his estate in order to get legal authority to sign the sale deed, and... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.