Sumter, SC asked in Medical Malpractice and Workers' Compensation for South Carolina

Q: I hernitated my l4-l5 disc back in 2017 ended up doing a ton of pt and 2 minor 1 major back surgery later and I have

I injured my back at work in 2017 and had tons of pt I ended up having 2 minor and 1 major back surgery. I now have permanent severe nerve damage and constant pain. I have lost some use of my leg and have foot drop. I started out with a hernitated disc. I don't believe my lawyer is getting the compensation I deserve. He has completely glossed over that I will never work in my field or at all again what are my options

1 Lawyer Answer
Alton Lamar Martin Jr
Alton Lamar Martin Jr
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. You should contact your attorney and have a very frank conversation. Let them know you are concerned about the legal representation you are receiving. Tell them that you are concerned about the amount of the recovery and the affect your injuries have had on you. Ask them to explain to you the reasons your recovery is limited. It may be that your attorney is recovering the maximum amount allowed under SC Workers' Compensation for your injuries. Oftentimes a busy attorney may not provide the level of detail a client would like, but that does not mean what they are telling you is inaccurate. Hopefully, your attorney will be able to put your mind at ease. After you have spoken with your attorney about all these issues, if you are still not comfortable with their explanations or you continue to have significant concerns about their legal representation, you can tell them you would like to seek legal counsel with another law firm.

Ilene Stacey King agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.