Tampa, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Who asset is a minors money certificate during a separation?

I have discovered that my spouse has been sending thousands of dollars to a certificate at the bank that I do not have access. I can just see the money leaving. I asked him about it (after the financial affidavit) was submitted, and it was not listed as an asset for anybody. I called the bank, and his is listed as a guardian on the account. Does that make it is asset? And if this activity of moving the money was within the last 3 months, is this a way a spouse hides money? Considering 3 months ago is when he started cheating. Nowhere on our budget listed those items as an investment for the kids.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Beth Louise Clause
Beth Louise Clause
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This will need to be addressed at mediation and/or trial. There are a lot of factors that need to be considered. Where is the money that is being deposited coming from? Is the money truly for the benefit of the child? Is your husband the only person who has control over the account?

Make sure you keep any documentation showing the status of this account and depending on the amounts being deposited you may want to file for an injunction.

Call an attorney in your area for a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.