Portland, OR asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: Would I be able to work as a"runaway" and are my parents able to prevent me from working in Oregon?

I live in Oregon and I'm seventeen. I graduated early a few months ago, I have a full time job and my birthday is in September. This is my first time living in Oregon with this parent because I moved in after I graduated and I was a resident at Job corps for a year before that. It's just so different from what I'm used to and there's a big lack of consideration in a lot of areas. There's really no reason other then me being seventeen to stay at home. Other then that, I'm working, not in school and I've been used to being independent from my parents for a while now. My parent says they would " have to" report me as a runaway.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You are technically not able to commit to any legally binding agreements until you turn age 18 unless you get emancipated by a court proceeding. It probably isn't worth the time and money to file for an emancipation when you are only months away from turning 18. I suppose you could move out and maybe go live with friends and your parent could call the police. Generally speaking the police don't drag teenagers home because they know it is a waste of time. The police could charge your friends where you live with custodial interference but even that is tricky because they have to prove that your friends actually interfered. Probably your biggest hurdle is that you can't legally sign a contract so you will be blocked from getting things that you need to live independently. I would say just deal with it for a few months. Being patient is a sign of maturity. I would also advise you that if you want to survive in this life you are going to need to continue your education either by going to college or by going to a trade school. Oregon has a program that will give you free tuition for a two year college education so don't be a fool and not use this valuable opportunity!

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.