Cliffside Park, NJ asked in Probate for New Jersey

Q: Hello, I had a Gradfather recently pass that I had no contact with. He lived in Puerto Rico.

His son has recently contacted me and says that his bank account that he had with his wife is frozen. He said that his lawyer that is handling this process needs my original birth certificate sent in the mail to P.R. But he’s not providing much detail at all. So far I know there’s no will but supposedly he doesn’t know what’s in his fathers bank account. Is this possible? Can I just send a photocopy of my birth certificate? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ivan Raevski
Ivan Raevski
  • Metuchen, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: this sounds like a scam. don't send any original documents, there is no reason they would need this.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.