Richmond, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption, Appeals / Appellate Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: How can I get my parental rights back if they were taken?

My son mother put him up for adoption while I was incarcerated without me knowing and my consent. By time I got any letter or documents it was a few days before the hearing and I couldn’t get a lawyer or anything. I showed up to court and they took away my parental rights and said when I got out I can fight for my parental rights back. Is there any way I can get my parental rights back? Is there anyway I can find out who adopted him and/ or where he is located at? What next steps can I do to be able to see my son again and get my rights back? Please contact me back ASAP. Thanks so much

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need a consultation with an adoption lawyer. Some of this depends on when this happened.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.