Virginia Beach, VA asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: How do I file or know what to file under for a divorce

We have no children or property or joint debt, we arrived in July 16 and she left me in oct 16. She left Va some time later in early 17. I have no real idea of her current location

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Christopher Miller
Michael Christopher Miller
  • Vienna, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You file a complaint for divorce to seek a divorce. If you separated in October 2016, you have been separated for more than a one year, so you can file on that basis.

If her whereabouts are truly unknown, and you have exhausted reasonable efforts to locate her, you can serve her by publication. Service by publication is a process wherein the court runs a notice in a qualified legal newspaper for a period of time. At the expiration of the time, if she does not show up, you proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.