Rapid City, SD asked in Car Accidents for South Dakota

Q: I recently got into an accident with another car trying to switch lanes at an intersection. The cop wrote me citation

For Improper lane change (m2) but with a $0.00 charge but with the fact that I have to show up in court. Do I have to be worried about time in jail or a misdemeanor? I was checking my lanes and didn’t see the other car anywhere before trying to switch lanes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A South Dakota attorney would be able to respond in the best manner. As a general matter in virtually all jurisdictions, minor traffic violations are not treated as criminal offenses. If you haven't already by now, see if a South Dakota traffic ticket attorney would offer you a free initial consult to discuss if their representation of you in this matter would be advisable and cost-effective. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.