Bozeman, MT asked in Immigration Law for Montana

Q: can a person with a tourist visa to the usa come here, get married, and stay here after she marries a us citizen?

thai citizen with a B1 tourist visa

has a 10 year old daughter

would plan on getting married to me, a us citizen

can she stay after marriage to me and apply for a greencard?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: Your plans to have your fiancée enter the U.S. with a B-1/B-2 visa in order to marry a U.S. citizen and adjust status with USCIS is an inappropriate use of the non- immigrant visitor visa. An attempt to file a request to adjust status with USCIS can be denied based on a misrepresentation at the U.S. port of entry.

Stephen Arnold Black agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.