Birmingham, AL asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Alabama

Q: Can additional charges to a traffic stop that resulted in a charge but successfully defended against be dissmissed?

Lawrence Co. Alabama; As I approached the stop sign where co. Rd. 208 intersects the corner of co. Rd. 203 a state patrol rounded the corner aprox. 3-400m behind. The wheels of my car stopped and the momentum shifted backwards. I let off the brake and crossed the line to peer right, around the tree on the corner, then quckly applied the brake to look left again while slowly positioning the vehicle to make a right turn. Without fully stopping again I looked back right and entered the road. I was immediately stopped. The officer claimed a failure to stop to which I disputed, as I saw him; and thus, made sure to stop at the line. The officer discovered my liscence was suspended and cited for both offences. The suspension had expired but I hadnt reinstated. Arraignments for both are aproaching.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kate Furek
Kate Furek
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: A lawyer would need more information before answering the question specific to your case, however, if multiple charges arise from a traffic stop, you can be convicted of those additional charges even if the ticket that was the reason for the stop is dismissed. In these situations, it's best to hire a lawyer in your county to aggressively defend you against these charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.