Carmel Valley, CA asked in Medical Malpractice for California

Q: Do i have a case worth fighting and where can i find a lawyer?

I went to a dentist to fill 9 cavities. I was put under a form of anesthesia using tranquilizers. This is used for people who are afraid of the dentist and its called sedation dentistry. While i was sedated, the dentist preformed a procedure where he drilled a hole in my tooth and inserted a metal rod through my tooth and into my skull. He didn’t tell me that he did this until the next day when i went in because i was in so much pain. When he told me this i flipped out. I went to the emergency dental place where they told me that this procedure had shattered my tooth and that it wasn’t savable. They took out my front top tooth (#9) and then i had to go get bone graphs and then had to wait for those to heal and then get an implant in. All the while I’m toothless which destroyed my self esteem and prevented me from going out in public and enjoying myself. I’m 31 years old and this destroyed my self image and was incredibly painful. It also cost me thousands of dollars

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Where can you find a lawyer? You can find a California lawyer on this site, or through your own searches. Do you have a case worth fighting? It's difficult to say based only on these facts. Teeth can break during endodontic and other procedures. The fact that a tool fractured/shattered is not evidence of malpractice in and of itself. The standard is negligence, in terms of whether the dentist exercised the proper standard of care. You could contact a lawyer to discuss the matter in further detail. If they felt it was a case they could handle on a contingency basis, they would request your records and films for review. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.