Kankakee, IL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Is there a time period for a child to speak to a judge on which parent they want to live with?

A year ago our children were able to speak to the judge when a modification of parental time and responsibilities occurred. In a year we will be filing a new motion parental time and responsibilities due to change in circumstances. Our youngest (14) no longer wants to spend as much time at the other house. Would I need to request a GAL or is the child allow to speak again with the judge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marilyn  Johnson
Marilyn Johnson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Orland Park, IL

A: It most definitely depends on the judge that you are before. Some judges will never talk to the children. You should file a Motion for In Camera Interview and request that the judge interview the child. If the motion is denied, the judge may appoint a GAL or you may need to file a Motion for Appointment of GAL.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.