Fontana, CA asked in Communications Law and Elder Law for California

Q: Had a good friend of over 20 years suddenly passed before we could discuss everything that needed to be done legally.

Was the contact and his emergency contact for him when in hospital. He was hospitalized since September 2019 & found out he had lung cancer as well as other GI problems. Went home on his birthday January 31st. He was getting stronger but I got sick and was unable to see him. Then I got busy with work when he suddenly got sick and was sent back to hospital. Never got to see him and fix anything legally. He told me that if anything should happen to him he wants me to get his money from bank to help me with what I need. I've been the main person the hospital and Dr had been calling. He suddenly passed on February 18th after they tried to revive him with no success. I've tried to find his family back east through Facebook, but no response. Funeral home has tried also. He hadn't seen them since 1994. I'm not working at the moment waiting on Medicaid. Need the money. Can I use it to help with my bills? Hopefully will be back to work

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Louis Gaffney
Jeffrey Louis Gaffney
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: No.

I am sorry but last wishes must be in writing, ether handwritten and signed or typed and witnessed.

Any assets that he left behind belong to his creditors and his family (even if they cannot be found). Eventually some asset search company will find this abandoned money and look for the heirs or it will go to the state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.