North Easton, MA asked in Bankruptcy and Civil Litigation for Massachusetts

Q: How do I file a motion for relief from the automatic stay associated with a debtors bankruptcy in MA?

We hired a general contractor to build an addition to our home, and he filed bankruptcy in the middle of the project. We can attempt to obtain money from a state guarantee fund, however in order to file a claim with this fund we need a judgement against the contractor. In order to obtain a judgement, we need to file a suit against him in district court, and we can't do this until the stay is lifted.

We have a sample motion, in terms of the document, but I want to understand how do I go about "filing" this, and then what is the process after I file? Does the court then set a date for a hearing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You are really going to need a lawyer to guide you through an adversarial proceeding to attempt to obtain a judgment. Consult a competent bankruptcy attorney to discuss your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.