Marion, IL asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: I'm 16 and live in illinois. I want to be emancipated from my parents. How do I do that? My home is unsafe to live i

My house is in awful condition. Its unfit and unsafe to live here. My parents wobt consent to my emancipation and may become violent. I have people that would let me live with them. I dont know what to do.

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It's not easy. To learn how it is done, go to this website:

On the window that opens, click on Chapter 750 FAMILIES.

On the next window that opens, click on 750 ILCS 30/ Emancipation of Minors Act.

Pay particular attention to Section 4 which requires that a petition be filed in court "on behalf of the minor by his next friend, parent or guardian." In other words, you are unlikely to be able to file a petition yourself.

If things are as desperate as you indicate, consider reporting the situation to the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. Ask if you can report your own home situation anonymously (meaning your folks won't find out you made the call) and let them take it from there. Their 24-hour abuse hotline is 800-252-2873, which their website indicates should be called "if you suspect that a child has been harmed or is at risk of being harmed by abuse or neglect." Good luck. I'll be praying for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.