Windsor Locks, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: My dad passed without a will. He has a car that is paid for. We live in CT. What are my next steps?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: It would make sense to schedule a meeting with a probate attorney to discuss all the next steps. You could attempt to navigate the probate process yourself without an attorney. If you attempt that route, you should reach out to the local probate court who can provide you necessary forms etc.

Dying without a will in CT means his assets will pass via intestacy. That means that the state of Connecticut has already written your estate plan. Depending on what relatives are alive different people will inherit. Any attorney can provide you advice on this matter.

Ultimately the decision between hiring and not hiring an attorney depends on the facts and circumstances. During a consultation any attorney will be able to provide you guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.